Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Sting crosses over

Now this I like: Sting’s latest album is a collection of Dowland songs, performed in collaboration with lutist Edin Karamazov. Sting joins in on a few numbers on the archlute, as well. Hot.

I have a lot of respect for Sting as a musician, and I think this album could be quite good. The clips on the DG site and on iTunes (where I will likely purchase it) make it clear that Sting is singing these songs with his voice and not trying to sound all “early music” and period (whatever that means…). Probably best, don’t you think? Besides, what was Dowland if not a singer-songwriter? Makes perfect sense to me to have someone like Sting sing them.

I’ll be curious to hear what others think about it…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a manager at Barnes and Noble and we currently have it as an in store play. Imagine my surprise to realize that I was correct - I was hearing 'flow my tears!?'

Gregory said...

Woo hoo. I'll take this anyday. Diphthongs and all.

Although, speaking of...I wonder when Justin Timberlake is just going to get over it and come out as a countertenor.

Anonymous said...

I just sang backup for Sting this past Monday night at a live XM Radio concert where he performed with Edin songs from this album. Sting and Edin were two of the most kind and talented people EVER! What an experience and the album is so peaceful. Love it and go buy it!

Princess Alpenrose said...

Sting is an "ultimate musician"!

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you're in NYC, because I'm playing at a Sting songwriter tribute night at Club Passim in Cambridge on the 30th. Every performer plays one Sting cover. Fun fun fun!

Maury D'annato said...

Ok, I'm the party pooper. I listened to some of it on itunes, and I thought it was kind of bad. I came in with a half-open mind: I like the idea of a pop singer doing Dowland. It's quirky, kind of fun. Just not one with a weather-worn voice like Sting.

Anonymous said...

I will also party-poop. I just played this to a class of freshmen in the course of a discussion about cross-over work (we also listened to Classical...Barbra) and they were horrified by how bad it was. Some of them kind of liked Barbra's Mondnacht, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...